Thursday, April 30, 2009

"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is. "

~John Holt ~ in a letter to Joan Pitkin, October 22, 1971 
From: "A Life Worth Living, Selected Letters of John Holt", 
Edited by Susannah Sheffer


Our lives have been all about Webkinz lately!  All four of my children are crazy about it!  We only have one computer but they literally spend hours in front of it.   Sometimes, I worry about this.  I call myself an "unschooler," but I still worry what my children are "learning" from Webkinz.  How could it be good, I sometimes think, to be in front of a computer screen on a beautiful Spring day?  

Well, why not?  They are so PASSIONATE about this game!  They are excited everyday to see how they will do in their favorite game (spelling, math, reading, hand eye coordination.....says my old worried self who tries NOT to see school subjects in our day).  They can't wait to see if they can afford a new style of bed for their Webkinz room (again, math, budgeting).  They cheer each other on, we have family tournaments, they watch mommy play her favorite, "Zacky's Quest," which reminds me of "Frogger" from back in the day.  It is all GOOD!  It is so much FUN!  And, it is their current passion!  Besides, they still had fun today running outside in the beautiful sunshine.....after they each had their turn on the "Wheel of Wow!"

No comments:

Post a Comment