Wednesday, October 14, 2009

We are Back!

We are back! Back to "unschooling," back to living out our passions day after day, back to living together in joy, back to spending our days together....back to OUR basics.

After sending Maddie and Amelia to school this year, I quickly realized that I had made a mistake. No, I take that back. It wasn't a mistake. I had to see for myself what school would be like for them. Yet, it was full of all the things that I no longer believe in.....learning that is not meaningful, extrinsic rewards, a condescending attitude towards children (not that I ever believed in that), living our day by the clock (when to take and pick up), and a clear lack of FREEDOM, in every sense of the word.

It clearly was not the right place for my children!

So, now we are back to living each day filled with all of the important stuff of life........


Hours at the library finding treasures, followed by lots of reading!

Science experiments at the table totally thought up by Amelia! Testing to see what liquids will make pennies shine the most. Ben and Leah are in the background experimenting with their favorite....baking soda and vinegar. Volcano, anyone??? :)


Creating fairy homes in our yard on a beautiful autumn day. Enjoying nature!


Maddie's natural enthusiasm as she is explaining to me about a new project that she wants to try. She read about this in a book.....she is going to send a small stuffed animal to a pen pal in Maine who will then send it on to someone else, all the time writing about the animal's adventures. Cool!

My feet are now back on the ground. I feel confident knowing that I am doing the best thing for my children by keeping them home...... No, not home, but in the world.....EXPLORING our world everyday!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah Lydia! So good to see you're back exploring the world together with your clan. We'll see you tomorrow at the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job on this blog post...you get a Hershey bar! Unschooling rocks! You are the best mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great adventure you have all had. I think my feet are on the ground 50% of the time, but we are gaining! It is so lovely to be home, just doing your thing, once you have tried the other way. Best wishes on your journey, it is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! We are back to the joy of home learning as well, after a not so great year of trying a public charter. Now I am in the de-schooling mode for my 9 year old, and I am hoping that she transitions well...so far she is hesitant to enjoy the freedom. I look forward to finding inspiration on your blog!

    ReplyDelete