Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Freedom!

"I'm free to do what I want any old time 
I'm free to do what I want any old time"
rolling stones


This song, though I don't even really enjoy it on the radio, keeps popping into my head.  And, I know why.  We are so free in this life that we live.  I remember this feeling when I had to stay home from school growing up.  Oh my gosh....a whole world exists outside of school.....people go shopping, cars are on the road, there are shows on the tv!  I really liked school but I couldn't wait to become a part of what goes on outside of the school during school hours.  Then I became a teacher.  I was still within those four walls for the majority of the day.  I would be envious of my husband who could leave his job to have lunch out.   It was not until I became pregnant with Maddie and Amelia that I discovered the world outside of the school!  

And now, we have FREEDOM every day!   Tomorrow, we will explore the Philadelphia Art Museum.  Today, we went to buy seeds for our garden at Agway.  We wake up when we want and go to bed the same.  We bake, read, play games, create art work, invent, make believe.....all because we want to....not because someone has told us that it is time to.  

A woman at Ben and Leah's soccer practice was telling me how she received a letter from her daughter's school due to some absences.  The letter threatened to take her to court because of the missed school days.  WHAT???  I do not want someone else telling me what to do with my children.  I am so glad that we are not a part of that game.  

There's a land that I see where the children are free
And I say it ain't far to this land from where we are
Take my hand, come with me, where the children are free
Come with me, take my hand, and we'll live


from Free to Be YOu and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment